- 800 gms zucchini
- 125 gms buffalo mozzarella
- 1 large white onion
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 fresh red chilli
- 5 cm parmesan rind, washed
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp chopped marjoram
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Dice the onion and garlic, finely slice the chilli and roughly chop the zucchini. Put them in a heavy-bottomed soup pot with the thyme sprigs, the parmesan rind, and the olive oil, then gently sauté until the zucchini is tender. Do not allow the vegetables to colour.
- Add 1 ltr chicken stock and the zest of 1/2 lemon. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the parmesan rind and pass the soup through a coarse mouli or pulse it in a food processor. Return the soup to the pot and bring to heat.
- Add chopped basil, parsley, chives and marjoram and 1/2 cup of grated parmesan.
- Break up the mozzarella into 1cm chunks and gently stir it in to the soup.
- Season to taste and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Recipe: Thomas Hutchison
Image: Lottie Hedley Photography, courtesy of ‘The Great New Zealand Cookbook’